As long as you follow our tips for preventative care and maintenance, your flooring should continue to look fabulous and should extend the life of your floor and wear well for many years to come.
- The best hint to maintaining a newer floor for longer is to adopt a ‘no shoes’ policy. This therefore eliminates the possibility that dirt and stones are going to be walked through your house and potentially scratch the floor.
- The floor must be regularly vacuumed (bristles down) or swept with an electrostatic mop as often as necessary, to remove loose dirt or grit to prevent scratching of floor.
- Use only quality floor mops and thoroughly wash new mops to remove any lint remaining from the manufacturing process.
- Never use steam mops on your floor. Never wax or polish your floor.
- Use a damp mop only – avoid excessive amounts of water.
- A floor cleaner made specifically for bamboo floors should be used.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, steel wool or scouring powder on your floor. Never use oil soaps, wax, soap based detergents or other household products to clean the floors. Where spillages occur immediate clean-up is necessary to avoid damage.
- We highly recommend the use of door mats at all external entrances, to prevent the possibility of damage from abrasive particles that are walked in onto the floor. Do not use rubber based mats as the rubber may leach into the bamboo.
- Moving furniture across your floor can lead to damaging the surface. Never slide or roll heavy furniture.
- Use felt floor protector pads under any heavy and movable furniture, so that they can be moved easily without the risk of spoiling the floor. Do not use rubber as it may leach into the bamboo.
- Install protective mats under office chairs or castor wheels.
- In high traffic areas, use rugs or runners.
- Stilletto heals or damaged shoe soles can severely damage the floor.
- Keep animal nails trimmed.
- Keep your internal environment ventilated, protected from extreme sunlight and humidity to avoid distortion of flooring or fading.
- Wipe up spills promptly with a dry cloth or dry paper towel. For sticky substances, moisten the cloth slightly.
- Like other flooring, bamboo flooring can become slippery when wet. Be sure to wipe up spills immediately.
Restoration or Repair
See your local Flooring Xtra store people to get advice on when, who and how to restore or repair your flooring.